The printed circuit board can be made of various metal materials. These special PCB can be called metal base PCB. The choice of metal depends on their application. The Aluminum PCB is a relatively popular metal substrate with good heat dissipation function and can be applied to many fields in modern times.
What is Aluminum PCB?
Aluminum PCB are one of the most commonly used PCB types. It uses standard FR4 laminates and aluminum cores, which are effectively cooled by a hot melt coating and is widely used in fields involving tight tolerances and high power. Aluminum PCB are designed and manufactured differently than other types of PCBs. It usually consists of three main layers.
1. Base layer: The base layer is made of aluminum alloy substrate.
2. Circuit layer: The circuit layer of the aluminum PCB is composed of copper foil. These copper foils can be used in different weights from 1 to 10 ounces.
3. Dielectric layer: The insulation of the PCB is made of ceramic polymer. This polymer has good heat resistance and viscoelasticity. This layer is the most important layer that helps protect the PCB from potential mechanical and thermal stresses.
In the process of manufacturing an aluminum PCB, a thin dielectric layer is added between the circuit layer and the base layer. The metal base layer in the aluminum PCB can also eliminate all of the heat in the circuit by means of a thin dielectric.
What is the application field of aluminum PCB?
They can be applied in many fields, for example: Beacons signal, surgical lighting tools, power transmission system, high power scanners, car dashboards, interior lighting, power converters, medical operating room lighting, landscape lighting, taillight assemblies, etc.
What is different types of aluminum PCB?
As mentioned earlier, the type of aluminum PCB chosen depends to a large extent on the product in which it is used. The three main types of aluminum substrates as follows:
Through hole aluminum PCB: In a through-hole aluminum PCB, aluminum is pre-drilled; after that, the dielectric is backfilled into the holes.
Flexible aluminum PCB: In this type of PCB, a flexible dielectric is used to provide a high level of flexibility, thermal conductivity and electrical insulation.
Mixed aluminum PCB: Aluminum PCB of this type are commonly used in RF application and are known to provide better thermal performance when used in standard FR4 products.
Aluminum substrates of this type are commonly used in RF applications and are known to provide better thermal performance when used in standard FR4 products.
Why is aluminum PCB so popular?
1. Light weight - Aluminum is extremely light metal. Therefore, it helps to add extra strength and flexibility to the PCB.
2. Strong heat dissipation: When important components on the PCB are exposed to high temperatures, they are damaged. So, in order to protect them from such damage, it is necessary to use a material capable of dissipating heat. Aluminum is a good heat dissipation material that dissipates heat from critical components from the board to protect them from any potential damage.